Coronavirus India Updates: Vaccine Shipment Begins; Active Cases Fall Below 2.2 Lakh
Active coronavirus cases in India continued to decline at a time when the central and state governments are preparing for an immunisation programme in the country with the world’s second worst outbreak.
India reported 12,584 new cases -- lowest since June 17 -- in a matter of 24 hours, according to the Union Health Ministry’s data as of 8 a.m. on Jan.12. That’s lower than the 18,385 patients who recovered from the virus in the same time period, taking active cases to below 2.22 lakh. India had over 10 lakh live infections in mid-September.
The country is fast approaching the 1-year anniversary of the pandemic reaching its shores. The first Covid-19 case was recorded on Jan. 30, 2020 in Kerala -- a student of the Wuhan University. Since then, authorities have recorded over 1.04 crore confirmed coronavirus cases and over 1 crore recoveries. More than 1.5 lakh people have died due to the virus.
One-day deaths, however, dropped to 167 on Monday -- lowest in over 7 months.
- Total number of confirmed coronavirus cases: 1,04,79,179
- Active cases: 2,16,558
- Cured/discharged/migrated: 1,01,11,294
- Deaths: 1,51,327
- Number of fresh cases in last 24 hours: 12,584
- One-day recoveries: 18,385
- One-day deaths: 167
The Serum Institute of India begins shipment of first round of Covid-19 vaccines today, days ahead of the nationwide inoculation drive. This could mark India's entry into a decisive phase against the anti-coronavirus fight.
According to PTI reports, the government has ordered 1.1 crore vaccines from SII, 55 lakh from Bharat Biotech and committed purchase of another 4.5 crore from SII by April.
Several states on Sunday said they have made all necessary preparations for the first phase of the inoculation exercise, including identification of vaccination sites and registration of healthcare and other frontline workers. The nation-wide rollout is scheduled for Jan. 16.
First Flight With Covishield Vaccines Leaves For Delhi
A SpiceJet flight carrying the vaccines left for the national capital around 8 a.m., three hours after three trucks with the maiden consignment of the vaccines rolled out of the Serum Institute of India facility, 15 km from the airport.
"Ready get set go! Stand by India! The vaccine to kill the disease is being loaded into the aircraft for distribution all over the country now," Pune airport tweeted.
- Pfizer Inc. and BioNTech SE raised their Covid-19 vaccine production target for this year to 2 billion shots. The previous production target was 1.3 billion doses.
- A World Health Organization team of scientists is beginning a long-delayed trip to China to study the origins of the virus.
- Ireland’s hospitals are under mounting pressure as it grapples with a daily infection rate that’s now among the highest in the world, with ambulances forming a backlog outside one facility over the weekend.
- Total cases across the world top 90 million; deaths surpass 1.94 million.