YouTube CEO Says Trump Channel Will Stay Suspended Over Violence Risk

Bookmark

YouTube Chief Executive Officer Susan Wojcicki said Donald Trump’s channel will remain temporarily suspended due to the risk that he will use the online video service to incite more violence.

“Given just the warnings given by the capitol police yesterday about a potential attack today, I think it’s pretty clear that elevated violence risk still remains,” Wojcicki said during an interview at an event organized by the Atlantic Council.

The Google-owned platform will lift the suspension when it determines the risk of violence has decreased, but if the former U.S. president violates the rules, the channel will be removed again.

“When the channel is reinstated, it will be subject to the same content-moderation policies that every other channel follows,” the CEO added.

YouTube has been criticized for allowing violent and inappropriate videos. Misinformation about the result of the U.S. election last year, including lies that Trump won, also spread on the platform. Wojcicki has responded by investing in more content moderation and cracking down harder on some creators who break the rules.

Last quarter, YouTube removed more than 9 million videos that violated YouTube’s policies, she said on Thursday. The company has also promoted Covid-19 information from “authoritative” sources and those clips have garnered more than 400 billion impressions online, she added.

The CEO may testify alongside other tech leaders soon at a congressional hearing focused on misinformation and online radicalization, according to Politico.

©2021 Bloomberg L.P.

BQ Install

Bloomberg Quint

Add BloombergQuint App to Home screen.