MGM Resorts Wants to Settle Vegas Shooting Victims' Claims
(Bloomberg) -- MGM Resorts International wants to negotiate a possible settlement with the victims of the Oct. 1, 2017, shooting at the Harvest Festival in Las Vegas, in which 58 people were killed and hundreds were wounded.
The company and a group of lawyers representing the victims said in a filing Thursday in federal court in Las Vegas that they are scheduling a mediation and they asked the judge to put the lawsuit there on hold.
They will make the same requests in other courts around the U.S. where MGM Resorts filed lawsuits to block potential claims over the shooting. Earlier this month, MGM lost a bid to have all the litigation consolidated before one federal judge.
“While we continue to believe ultimately courts would find in MGM’s favor, we hope that entering into mediation will allow the parties to work together toward a fair and timely resolution,” Debra DeShong, a spokeswoman for MGM, said in a statement. “Years of protracted litigation is in no one’s best interest. We look forward to continuing discussions and hope for a positive resolution so the victims, first responders and the entire community can look forward to the future and continue on the path toward healing.”
The victims argue that MGM is liable for the deaths, injuries and other damages because it failed to prevent the shooter, Stephen Paddock, from bringing an arsenal of weapons to his suite at MGM’s Mandalay Bay resort. He opened fire from his suite on the concert attendees below.
©2018 Bloomberg L.P.