Life Insurers’ Premium Slumps In April Amid Second Covid-19 Wave

A job seeker fills out an application form at the Job Links Career Center, part of the North Carolina Employment Security Commission, in Raleigh, North Carolina, U.S. (Photographer: Jim R. Bounds/Bloomberg)

Life Insurers’ Premium Slumps In April Amid Second Covid-19 Wave

India’s life insurers witnessed a slump in new business premium over the preceding month in April amid fresh curbs across the country to fight the severe second wave of coronavirus infections.

New business premium for the insurance companies declined 79.15% over March at Rs 9,738.79 crore, according to data released by the Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India. Year-on-year, however, it jumped 33.42%, helped by a low base as the nation was under a complete Covid-19 lockdown that stalled trade.

When compared to April 2019, the industry’s new business premium dropped 4.45% in the reported month.

“While the flavour of FY21 was protection and guaranteed products, we have seen ULIPs (Unit Link Insurance Plans) coming back for the last six-eight months. Going forward, we expect protection non-par and protection sales to grow at higher than linked products,” Nirmal Bang said in a report.

Private Insurers Vs LIC

Private life insurers fared better than Life Insurance Corporation of India in April 2021.

While new business premium for private companies fell 68.74% over the preceding month, that of the nation’s largest life insurer tumbled 84.60%. Year-on-year, private firms and LIC witnessed 47.26% and 21.32% growth, respectively.

  • Market share of the private sector with respect to the new business premium stood at 50.13% in April 2021, while LIC made up the remaining 49.87%.

  • The number of life insurance policies sold surged 139.53% over the year earlier in April. Policies sold by the private sector rose 31.61% year-on-year, while LIC’s jumped 274.87%.

  • Month-on-month, the number of policies sold fell 82.71% for the industry. While the private sector saw a 72.13% decline in number of policies sold, LIC reported an 85.19% fall.

Also read: Private Life Insurers Beat LIC In A Pandemic-Hit Fiscal

Here’s how private listed life insurers fared in April 2021...

HDFC Life Insurance Co.

  • HDFC Life fared better than private peers both year-on-year and over the preceding month in April.

  • Its new business premium rose 74.32% over the year earlier compared with 47.26% average growth in the private sector.

  • But its new business premium fell 60.78% over March 2021.

Also read: HDFC Life Won’t Chase Growth At The Cost Of Profit Margins, Says CEO Vibha Padalkar

SBI Life Insurance Co.

  • SBI Life witnessed an 8.89% year-on-year drop in its new business premium underwritten in April 2021.

  • Month-on-month, it plunged 64.54%.

Also read: SBI Life To Increase Focus On Protection Plans Amid Pandemic

ICICI Prudential Life Insurance Co.

  • Its new business premium surged 127.23% over the year earlier on account of a low base.

  • Month-on-month, it tumbled 73%.

BQ Install

Bloomberg Quint

Add BloombergQuint App to Home screen.