CBDT Issues FAQs On Filing Tax Returns To Help Taxpayers
A man counts Indian rupee banknotes for a photograph near the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE) building in Mumbai, India. (Photographer: Dhiraj Singh/Bloomberg)

CBDT Issues FAQs On Filing Tax Returns To Help Taxpayers


The revenue department released frequently asked questions on filling income tax returns with regard to reporting of directorship in a foreign company and equity shares held outside India.

Through FAQs, the Central Board of Direct Taxes has also clarified that reporting of unlisted shares received via way of gift, will or amalgamation, and also assets held as 'stock-in-trade'.

The FAQs are based on the queries received by the CBDT to help assessees file ITRs.

On requirement to disclose break-up of all payments and receipts during the year in foreign currency, the FAQs said: “the break-up of receipts and payments in foreign currency is required to be reported only in respect of business operations in India”.

It further said in case of jewellery/motor vehicle held as stock-in-trade of business, only the aggregate values are required to be filled, and the particular details of each asset held as stock-in-trade are not required to be reported.

On long term capital gains, it said tools for computation of LTCG have been provided in the departmental utility for the convenience of taxpayers.

“These are optional tools designed for computation of the final figures of LTCG, which is then populated in the respective items in Schedule CG,” it said.

Alternatively, the taxpayers can themselves compute the aggregate long term gain or loss manually, and input the same directly in the respective items.

Also read: Tax Paying Should Be A Pleasurable Experience, Says CBDT Chairman

BQ Install

Bloomberg Quint

Add BloombergQuint App to Home screen.