Dish TV Isn’t Worried About Reliance Jio
If Reliance Jio Infocomm Ltd. offers content for television through high-speed wired broadband, that may eat into the market share of DTH services providers but won’t have a big impact, according to Dish TV Ltd.’s Managing Director Jawahar Lal Goel.
While the cost of per gigabyte consumption has declined, it is still higher than Dish TV’s cost to deliver content through 500-600 channels, Goel told BloombergQuint. Besides, it will be more expensive to switch to the internet protocol technology provided by Jio, he added.
Reliance Jio may offer up to 100 Mbps broadband through a fiber-to-home technology, according to an April 16 report by Livemint.
Here are the key highlights from conversation with Goel:
- Average revenue per user has been a misnomer for the company; Dish TV has been counting subscribers on 120 days due basis, and has now come down to 60 days due basis.
- Total subscriber count at 24 million.
- Envisaging a 9-10 percent revenue growth this year.
- Fiber-to-home has high capital expenditure issue. Will see how Jio pans out, will chart out a strategy.
- A 34-35 percent Ebitda (earnings before interest, tax, depreciation and amortisation) margin guidance on the back of synergies, higher ARPUs.