Ashok Leyland Sales Rise For 11th Straight Month In April
Ashok Leyland sales rose for the 11th straight month in April, driven by the sales in medium and heavy commercial vehicle segment. This was its highest sales growth in more than five years.
The truck and bus maker reported a 79 percent jump in overall sales last month, according to a statement filed with exchanges.
The Chennai-based commercial vehicle manufacturer sold 12,677 units compared to 7,090 units during the corresponding period last year.
Ashok Leyland saw its medium and heavy commercial vehicle sales nearly double in April, while light commercial vehicles sales rose 45 percent, over the same period last year.
Bajaj Auto's Sales Rise For Ninth Straight Month
Bajaj Auto Ltd.’s sales rose for the ninth straight month in April, driven by healthy growth in commercial vehicles segment.
The two- and three-wheeler maker sold 4.15 lakh units last month, an increase of 26 percent from the year-ago period, the Pune-based company said in a statement today.
Key sales highlights:
- Motorcycle sales rose 19 percent to 3.49 lakh units.
- Commercial vehicle sales rose 83 percent to 65,551 units; its highest monthly sales.
- Domestic sales rose 29 percent to 2.29 lakh units.
- Exports rose 22 percent to 1.85 lakh units.
Automakers Continue Sales Momentum
Indian automakers began the new financial year with a strong set of sales numbers in April, continuing the momentum from March when all companies reported double digit sales growth.
The country’s largest carmaker Maruti Suzuki Ltd. saw sales rise for a fourteenth straight month driven by demand for its compact cars. India’s largest commercial vehicle manufacturer, Tata Motors Ltd., also saw sales nearly double over the same month last year.
Ashok Leyland, Hero MotoCorp and Bajaj Auto are yet to report sales.
Maruti Suzuki Records Highest Monthly Sales In Over A Year
Maruti Suzuki India Ltd. sales rose for the fourteenth straight month, driven once again by the compact segment.
The country's largest carmaker sold 1,72,986 units in April, a 14.4 percent jump from the same month year ago, it said in an exchange notification.
Overall, sales figures were the highest in over 12 months.
The sales were led by a 31 percent growth in the compact segment. While domestic sales rose 14.2 percent from last year to 1,64,978 units, exports too showcased a healthy 19.1 percent jump to 8,008 units.
Segmental Performance (YoY)
- Sales in the mini vehicles segment comprising of cars like Alto and WagonR saw a 2.8 percent decline to 37,794 units
- Sales in the compact segment, which includes models like Swift, Baleno and Dzire, grew 31.8 percent to 83,834 units
- While the sale of utility vehicles remained flat, sales in the vans segment grew 14 percent
- Sales of light commercial vehicles grew 275 percent to 1,544 units compared to 411 units during the corresponding period last year.
Tata Motors Commercial Vehicle Sales More Than Double
Tata Motors has registered a growth of 86 percent in auto sales for April at 53,511 units as against 28,844 units over last year due to the continued strong sales performance of its commercial and passenger vehicles business in the domestic market.
- Total domestic sales up 86 percent at 53,511 units
- April domestic commercial vehicles sales up 126 percent at 36,276 units
- Medium and heavy commercial vehicle truck segment sales up 317 percent at 14,028 units
- Intermediate and light commercial vehicle truck segment sales up 94 percent at 3,229 units
- Small commercial vehicle cargo and pick-up segment sales up 84 percent at 14,620 units
M&M Auto Sales Up 22%, Tractor Sales Rise Too
Mumbai-based Mahindra & Mahindra clocked sold 48,097 units in April, a 22 percent rise from the same month previous year. Total tractor sales for the company during the month grew 18 percent.
- Passenger vehicle sales grow 13 percent to 21,927 units
- Total domestic sales up 19 percent at 45,217 units
- Total exports up 88 percent at 2880 units
- Medium and heavy commercial vehicle sales up 225 percent at 904 units
- Total tractor sales up 18 percent at 26,151 units
- Domestic tractor sales up 19 percent at 25,208 units
- Tractor exports up 10 percent at 943 units
Eicher Motors’ Sales Rise 27% In April
Eicher Motors Ltd., makers of Royal Enfield brand of motorcycles, registered a 27 percent growth in sales aided by robust demand for vehicles with engine capacity of over 350 cc.
- Total sales up 27 percent at 76,187 units
- Sales of models with engine capacity upto 350 cc grew 24 percent to 70,111 units
- Sales of models with engine capacity exceeding 350 cc grew 60 percent to 6,076 units
- Exports declined 1 percent to 1,560 units
TVS Motor Sales Rise 24%
TVS Motor Company Ltd. reported a jump in total retail sales in April over the same month last year led by strong demand for its motorcycles, while three-wheeler sales doubled.
- Two wheeler sales rose 21.7 percent to 2.93 lakh units
- Scooter sales rose 9.6 percent to 89,245 units
- Three wheeler sales rose 114.5% to 11,377 units
- Exports grew 54 percent to 61,798 units